Monday, December 14, 2009

Hairloss...

My poor daughter has a hairloss issue. It is the result of food allergies. Do you know how hard it is to determine what your dog is allergic to? Every dog food has about 100 different ingredients and finding what the one thing is in that list is practically impossible.

It all started about 7 months ago when we took her to the vet to see why her ears get dirty so fast. We had noticed her hairloss but thought she was just getting her summer coat. The vet gave her a specific diet food and in 2 weeks we noticed her hair was getting thicker again. So we kept her on that food for a while (costs 2x the amount of regular dog food), trying to reintroduce other things into her diet. It seemed to be going well. I heard somewhere that dogs are often allergic to corn meal, grains, things like that. I checked her old food and sure enough all those wonderful things were in it. With that bit of knowledge I called around and asked pet stores/vets of food they recommend for dogs with food allergies. I was looking for something that fit the limited ingredients but didn't cost us twice as much as normal.

I was told that Eagle Pack Holistic food was ideal for this. So, I bought a bag for the pooch. We have gotten through about half of the bag of food and... her hair has thinned out again. So, I'm going back to the vet tonight to get the expensive special food. I am taking a list of the ingredients up with me. Hopefully the vet can determine what it is that she is allergic to!

No comments:

Post a Comment